Thursday, February 2, 2012

La Chandeleur-Le Jour des Crepes

February 2 means a lot to me.  It is my son's birthday.  It is also the popular celebration of Groundhog day which determines how soon Spring will arrive and it is the day when we celebrate my favorite French desert-- the crepes.  Traditionally, the second of February is called Candlemas,; a Christian tradition  that commemorates the ritual purification of  Mary 40 days after the birth of Jesus. Today in France,  la Chandeleur is the occasion to eat crepes--a thin savory pancake.  To celebrate my son's birthday that is exactly what I prepared for breakfast.  Here is a simple recipe I would like to share with you.
2 eggs
1 cup of milk
pinch of salt
3 tablespoons of sugar
1 cup of flour
drop of vanilla or you can add a few teaspoons of rhum

Mix the eggs and the milk; add the sugar and the salt; blend in the  flour.  Let stand at least one hour in the refrigerator.  Heat the crepe pan with a drop of oil or butter and add a thin layer of batter to cover the pan.  Cook till golden on both sides  Bon appetit!!

#crepes, # french desert; # french tradition

No comments: